Saturday, June 20, 2009

Facebook

After a long time of refusing to go on Facebook, I finally did so. Why the change of mind? Simple...two weeks ago Erika, who is on Josh's friend's list laughed that Josh had put up from San Antonio during the first spring training days a statement saying "oh the pain." We had just upgraded his cell and our plan that allows him to access the web this summer. Wanting to keep up on his journey, other than the weekly call, and thinking if he is posting regularly that I guess I should make the jump to facebook.

Within a day of going on, Alice, an old friend from college sent a message asking to be added to my friend's list. I had somewhat lost track of her over the years as well as a few others. Now I am connecting somewhat with them. Her invitation drew me into the process, and if you read this post Alice, thank you.


There are those in my field who hold Facebook is a great way to raise money...I argue that it is not and to date the hype has not been supported by the results. There are non-profits who are putting great effort and funds into facebook, tweeter, etc. with little to show. I argue that those resources could be spent more productively elsewhere. Hence, I view facebook and other such social networking with significant skeptism.

I maintained for a long time that much of what is on facebook is meaningless statements but I have found that in that meaningless statements and what old friends have posted about themselves I am learning a little of what they have done over the years. In the pictures that they have posted I see elements of their lives, their trips and their joys. Further, I have had a chat with a few friends including last night, my niece Emily....Emily if you read this, thank you it was an enjoyable short chat. Therefore those meaningless statements are no longer meaningless, and for that I am thankful.

2 comments:

Barbara said...

welcome to the world of facebook. Initially I spent a lot more time on facebook, however, now, it's very infrequent. Like you said, a lot of it is meaningless. It reminds me a lot of highschool and who is popular, and who has more friends. I'm not ready to throw in the facebook towel yet, but I refuse to allow it to consume much of my time anymore.

I will have to add Josh to my friend's list.

Jenn said...

i only use facebook now to look at photos. it's also good for events - saves you on mailing invites.