Sunday, July 16, 2006

Family News and ... Its Time For A Vacation

Today Evie and I head out for a two week vacation. Getting Josh to and from rehearsals along with three out of town business trips (fortunately two were only 65 miles each way) has made it a long week.

This past week Jonathan has been on vacation, which he spent at helping out at Music Conservatory. This coming Saturday (22nd) Jonathan flies off to Oklahoma for TMI on a full scholarship. The guest this year is Robert Redhead (I think Gwen will be there as well). Dick Holtz, who was also at our Conservatory this year is arranging for Jonathan to have time each day to work one on one with Redhead on compositions.

Speaking of compositions, Josh is putting the finishing touches on a piece that is the length of an old festival piece….and at the same level. He has a couple of concert band items in the works and with him going into the Cap Band this fall he will have an opportunity to work with Steve Bulla on compositions….he would also continue to work with Jim Anderson on TSA items.

Evie and I had been hoping to get Jim Curnow to do a clinic at Oakton, but from what Dick noted, he is booked out two years and then some. I remember that during our Asbury days Jim would show up to rehearsals from time to time with his shoulder wrapped due to his bursitis. Apparently his bursitis has gotten much worse and Marg is encouraging him to take fewer engagements each year.

I am looking forward to relaxing for when I get back life will be a rush. There is a flight out to Denver on a Monday afternoon to visit 4 recreation centers before catching the last flight out of Denver to get in late and driving immediately to Lynchburg for a 9:30 meeting on Wednesday and then a visit to another Corps Wednesday afternoon.

The next following week, I visit two Corps 100 miles away on the Monday before flying Tuesday afternoon to Atlanta for a Kroc Center meeting at THQ on Wednesday. I am staying over to meet with a vendor so that I can do some research on their database on Thursday and Friday morning. In the first 15 business days back it appears I will only be in the office three days. Oh, in the midst of that, Evie and I are responsible for the Sunday Service at Arlington, and Josh is off with his marching band for his week at Orkney (week I am in Atlanta).

When I get back, my time will not be my own for about three weeks. Hence, I am looking forward to putting my watch in a drawer later this morning when I climb into the RV, going to bed when sleepy and rising when rested enough, eating when hungry, and lighting the campfire when it starts to get dark. The time masters will have no meaning, at least for two weeks.

All the best to one and all.

1 comment:

Jenn said...

you are making me stressed just reading your schedule! me....get up, go to work, come home sleep, get up go to work, come home sleep (x365)