Sunday, October 22, 2006

Chev HHR

Chevrolet has just introduced the HHR. During my trip to Atlanta I rented a vehicle and was given a brand new HHR….it only had 6 miles on it. As you can see from the pics, the HHR (first pic, white vehicle) look very much like Chrysler’s PT Cruiser (second pic, grey vehicle), a car that I did not like but which has found a following.

Here are my thoughts about the HH2. Be mindful that I did not put it through the rigors that do the testers of Road and Track or the Consumers Report. These are just thoughts of a person who drove one briefly for average driving.

Positives: High head clearance and the seat moved upward to allow one to be at a sofa level in elevation; good cargo space for a small vehicle; outstanding turning radius; an automatically adjusting day/nigh mirror with compass; simple and effective radio design; two glove boxes; back window has its owner wiper and washer; an electronic system via one button on the steering which that tracks mileage, gas consumption, oil condition and engine temperature; window buttons position between the two front seats.

It has adequate pick-up speed. As for padding, the seats are of adequate comfort.

Negatives: A large front blind spot created by the mirror due to the low front window. When going down a hill or around a curve, anything more than 200 yards out to the right goes into a significant blind spot; low front window means that one can not see light changes in the normal seating position if one is the first car in line; hard plastic dash; arm rest between the two front passengers is only 1.5” wide when spacing allows for 2.5”; the arm rests between the two front seats are 1.5 to 2” too short for the average person; the front cup-holders are beneath the arm rests; only one cup-holder for backseat occupants.

Overall, the Chevy HHR is a car with potential that comes up short. Just for the blind spot issues, I give the HHR a failing grade. The vehicle runs nice and may look sharp if you like that look, but if compromises safety, why purchase a vehicle that has a serious forward blind spot for anyone over 5’4”. I am sure others will notice the same and GM apologists will try to explain it all away. I drove it, I will not do so again.

That is my initial thoughts on the HHR.




5 comments:

Barbara said...

Unlike you, I like the PT Cruiser. It definatley wouldn't be my first choice for a vehicle, however. The new HHR looks cool too. The nice thing about renting a car is getting to drive and test out different vehicles. When we were in Calgary, we rented a Montana. We didn't like it.

Christian said...

I think American cars in recent years have really missed the boat with the asian cars, honda, toyota, and now even hyndai.

I purchased a toyota and would never purchase an american car now that isn't a full size van. When Toyota makes a full size van, GM and Ford will be in trouble! Nissan, Toyota and even Honda are building quality trucks, so it is only a matter of time before they use the truck platform for a van

Joanne said...

I used to think the PT cruiser was kinda cool looking. Then I found out the chasis is really the same as a Neon, with the newly revised body. That did it for me. Jenn had a Neon when she was in her final year of school and they had it until about 6 months into their marriage. On numerous occassions, I had to pick her up from a road side stop as the car would break down in between London and home. We were then told the issues she was having with the car were common with Neons. That was it, no more Neons, and no PT Cruisers. The HHR remind me too much the PT Cruiser.

I agree with Christian.....give me a toyota any day. Jason has my first Corolla now. It's 7 years old, and there hasn't been an ounce of trouble with it yet.

There is one car I will always long for however (although I will never be able to afford it). A cherry red Jag XJS.......now that's my kind of car

Evie said...

What in the blazes does HHR stand for, anyway? Ugly car with an even uglier name.

Catharine said...

I'm a Mazda girl myself, especially the Mazda 6.

I could also take a truck any day. I don't care at this point who makes it, just give me a truck!