Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Josh Goes to Court

Last Thursday I had to go with Joshua to the Fairfax Juvenile Courthouse for his 3:15 appearance before a judge. He was one of about 50 teenagers on the docket.

Dressed in a nice shirt and tie he had been anticipating his appearance before the judge for months. He was eager to get to appear and go through this right this right of passage to get his permanent drivers license. The appearance is a requirement, and one that I feel was appropriate.

The judge reminded them that driving is a privilege, not a right. She reminded them that some teens have abused the privilege and that each week she has to see teens before her in less pleasant circumstances. She also reminded them that parents can put more narrow restrictions on their license that the State will uphold. She reminded them that parents at any time can ask to have the license suspended at anytime for any period just by making a call and the State will suspend the license for the period specified by the parent up until they are eighteen. Using two teens, a police officer went through an effective safety demonstration on reaction time.

At the end, each student was called out by name by the judge. She was not going to give the license. It was to be given to the parent who was responsible for giving it to his/her child. The judge only gave me the license when Josh promised the judge, “I will drive safe.” I thought the symbolism of giving the parent the license was powerful and meaningful.

When I received the license I did not give it immediately to Josh. I held on to it until Evie arrived home. I handed the license to Evie who then handed it to our son. Josh understood the significance of why I was waiting for Evie to get home before he got his permanent license. We both support him and we both have expectations that he will exercise this privilege in a responsible manner.

5 comments:

Christian said...

That seems like a rather intimidating process, but a necessary one. I remember the day I got my license--March 22, 1990.

I thought I was so cool driving my parents Dodge Caravan.

Be safe Josh.

Jenn said...

hahaha - dodge caravan!!!

i remember getting my licence - i failed the first time - and then some indian dude passed me the second time.

Christian said...

Hahaha, its funny you mentioned your inspector by ethnic background. When I took my test, everyone in school knew that there were three inspectors. A white guy, a black guy, and a Puerto Rican. I am not making this up! It almost sounds like a dirty racist joke!

The white guy was the easiest, the black guy was so/so, and the Puerto Rican was the toughest. If you got him, start saying your prayers! Imagine my fear when the Puerto Rican called my name...Christian!

I immediately turned on my charm, and told him about The Salvation Army. He was interested because the vehicle was registered to The Salvation Army. I explained that my parents were in charge of the Army's work in our city and that the vehicle...the aforementioned Dodge Caravan was assigned to them. Soon, I had won over the Puerto Rican inspector and passed my driver's test!

Catharine said...

I wonder how the driving stats rate compared to places that do not have drivers stand before a judge. A great idea if it works!

Barbara said...

congrats to Josh on getting his liscence.