Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Windmills

I am finally home for a week or more. It took nearly 2.5 hours to get through the boarder. I have been on the road the last two nights. By the time I get to the office tomorrow (Thursday) I will have put around 3,200 miles on the car ten days.

Below are windmill generators I passed on the way home. These are located in PA. More of these farms need to be built to help diminish our dependence upon oil and gas, and even coal. There are people who argue against these windmills by calling them eyesores. A windmill farm was proposed just off shore in Mass but those with ocean property argued against them as they would ruin their views (even though they would be more than a mile out). One of the families that fought the windmill proposal was Ted Kennedy, who talks in the Senate about the need to cut our use of oil (hence in my view he is a classic NIMBY who talks the talk but does not walk the walk).

I do not find them that offensive, and there is a type of beauty to them. Frankly they are far less offensive than most highrises that line the lake/river shores of Toronto, New York, Cleveland and Chicago.






4 comments:

Jenn said...

hmmmm...cutting back on more environmentally friendly sources for energy...making it so that oil is not at the forefront of energy, perhaps cutting back on the need for, oh, i don't know, WAR in places like iraq...but those politicians are right, lets get rid of them because they are ugly. paint them pink or something for pete's sake!!!

Evie said...

Well, they don't have much aesthetic appeal, but I like their function. And they're not nearly as ugly as traffic lights and other junk along our roadways. I'd like it if we built pretty windmills like the ones in Holland. There's a nice example of combining aesthetics with function, a skill we moderns seem to have lost. Alas, the politicians would probably deem such structures as too expensive, so we'll likely have to get used to the plain-jane models.

Christian said...

I agree with Aunt Evie. I don't like the aesthetic appeal, but at the same time, I think something needs to be done with alternate fuels. Washington, and I believe this administration, is in too much business with the oil companies. They cry that we need less dependence on foreign oil, but we can't agree on where to drill stateside, and can't agree on alternate fuels.

Things have got bad politically in America thanks to Dubya and Clinton. There has been too much polarization. We need someone to come and bring the country back together. I don't know if any of the candidates that are running are up to task.

Stephen said...

Welcome home David!

Wind turbines are a no brainer! We have a responsibility to get off the energy drug of fossel fuels.
I know that wind turbines as not the most pleasing thing to see on a hill top nor bobbing off shore, but I'd rather look over a hillside of wind turbines than to look at a coal generator plant or a live in the shadow of a nuclear plant.
I have noticed that Toronto and surounding communities (it a token effort - but it's a start) are placing them on their waterfront areas. Here in Alberta, windfarms are providing a significant amount of power to the grid system.
When it comes to cities, I think that urban planners and city politicans should mandate that all high rise flats, office towers, warehouses and manufacturing plants place wind turnbine on their roof (they come in all sorts of sizes, shapes and configurations) to be tied directly into the power grid or to provide augmented power to their building that lessens their dependance on the system. I think that the potential for this kind of thing is fantastic.
For me, this is a no brainer!