Monday, April 27, 2009

Getting Older

As noted in the last post, Evie and I visited the Virginia Museum of Transportation in Roanoke VA. This is a relatively young museum and they are still building their collection of trains and cars. They have few pre-WWII automobiles.

Following is a 1914 Metz Model 22. The car is still in the process of being restored...not the carts under the vehicle that allows the car to be wheeled off the floor as necessary.



Above is a 1925 Model T Depot Hack, one of the first small mass produced trucks. Below is a 1948 Packard Super Eight. I love the lines of this car.



Above is the famous Studebaker Land Cruiser. This is the 1950 model. The Studebaker's last car was made in 1964. Below is the 1957 Desoto Fireflight Sportman. Chrysler closed down this brand in 1961....today GM announced that Pontiac will be joining the Desota as Studebacker as names that are a past age.


Above is the 1963 Chevrolet 1963 Impala. I like the look of the Impala and while in college often borrowed a 1971 and 1974 Impala. Below is a car that seeing it in the museum started caught me by surprise. It is a 1970 Olds Cutlass Supreme SX. What caught me by surprise is that a high school friend of mine had such a car and I remember going off to McDonalds on Queen in it. Also Dad had a four door Cutlass for a time, a 1976 or 1977 model I believe.

What really caught me by surprise was the following, a 1983 Ford Mustang. This car should not be in a museum I mused....my marriage is four years older. Alas I realized that for my sons, the '83 Mustang and the '70 Cutlass are museum items in the eyes of my sons. For Josh and Jonathan they are the '63 Impala and '57 DeSota for me....vehicles that existed when their parents learned to drive and of which they saw the later versions while in elementary school.

2 comments:

Barbara said...

I agree. Those cars shouldn't be in a museum because they aren't old! ...and neither am I, LOL!

Stephen said...

I always enjoy walking through antique car shows. We have one that takes place at the Deerfoot Mall near to where we live.
I always find it amusing when cars from my youth are in these shows. To my kids they are ancient - to me they are "classics" - just like the music I listen to on the radio every so often.