Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Talent Searches

I am not a big fan of American Idol and other such talent searches. Too often individuals are encouraged by friends and family to try out even when they have no talent. For the public show and to the person's humiliation the "talent scouts" often put forward individuals onto the national stage who at the regional contests clearly lacked talent. If the show started with the best, I would likely watch but the mingling in of individuals who lack talent, and even advancing a few marginal individuals to the second round keeps me from watching. I know friends and family who like the show, but for me I cannot enjoy it.

That said, you really need to watch this show from Great Britain's version of American Idol. Simon Cowell was one of the judges. As you see this lady, Susan Boyle, before she performs, what do you think Simon, and the other judges are going to do to this lady? What do you think the audience would think about her? Simon's reaction as well as the other judges becomes evident in short order. Our understanding of perception and reality is challenged.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnmbJzH93NU

4 comments:

Evie said...

Nice video. Before she sang, you could see by the looks on people's faces that they figured something like, "What a hick. This is going to suck." Then she opened her mouth and proved them wrong. Good for her.

Barbara said...

I have watched this over and over during the last 24 hours. She is just amazing. I love Simon's face!

Jenn said...

this woman is amazing!!!

Stephen said...

I have watched that video at least a dozen times - I'm totally captivated by it. At the same time I feel some anger at how we quickly judge a person at such a shallow level. The faces of the "beautiful people" in the audience speaks volumes of their contempt and scorn - hoping for another laugh at the expense of someone trying to live a dream.
It looks good on the beautiful people!
I am ashamed to say how I have delighted in the auditions of American and Canadian would be idols - in those who do indeed flop - judging and expecting the worse based on initial appearance.
Anyway, way to go Susan!! Go girl!