Wednesday, August 05, 2009

Bottled Water

I get a kick out of looking at what sometimes is put on bottled water. Evie and I do buy bottled water as the taste of the local stuff is not the best. Also, I like to have bottles for traveling. A could of frozen bottles in a small cooler provides me with a cold drink as I drive down the road.

Not all bottles of water are created equally. Long ago Coke and Pepsi have jumped into the game by selling filtered city water. There are the firms that offer specialty waters with a little flavoring or water from a specail exotic spring in Europe. These exotic waters are costly. In between the two are the waters from springs in remote areas.

You have to read labels to figure things out. I have laughed at statements like "XXX the calorie free water." I laughed when I read that, because all water is calorie free, they just make it sound like the other bottled water is not calorie free.

Another one that got me a few years ago when dating was the big thing was a company that put expiry dates on their water. Water expires, what a major revelation that was to me, and is likely to you too.

While in Atlanta the following bottle was on the desk in our room. The price for this on litre bottle stunned me....$5. I guess flying in this artesian well water from Fiji is costly. Clearly they are going on the exotic nature of the Fiji, but I'm not impressed as to why it is so special at $5. If it was water from a thousand year old glacier, then they may have something to crow about.

Take a look at the second picture. What made me smile was reading that "Every Drop is Green." Clearly they are playing off the environmental movement. What goes unsaid is that all water was green.

The bottle sat there all alone, untouched and unloved. Evie and and I were content with the cold bottled water we had in our cooler...which was also still partly frozen.




3 comments:

Barbara said...

Don't get me started on bottled water! What a rip off!! ...not to mention one of the biggest environmental problems in the world today.

Evie said...

Dave - you have to admit that the Fiji label is much prettier than the labels on our bottles.

Barb - the biggest reason there is any market at all for bottled water is that tap water in many American cities tastes wretched. Even in Iowa, the American heartland that conjures up glowing images of clean, country living, people called Iowa City's tap water the Iowa City Cocktail. The reason? The untreated water was so polluted with run-off from the farms upriver that gazillions of chemicals had to be added to make it at all potable. It tasted pretty bad.

Here in the DC suburbs, I just don't want to think about what is in the Potomac River. Bleagh!

Bottled water isn't such a rip-off when the stuff that's available "naturally" is low- quality. I also think perhaps it's not such a rip-off in lots of countries where the water is much more polluted, or scarce, than our North American sources.

Catharine said...

I wonder what water that is not enironmental tastes like and looks like?!