Wednesday, September 06, 2006

XM Radio

Friday evening as the rain poured down, Josh, Evie and I relaxed listening to jazz after catching up on the Canadian news on our radio. Saturday afternoon we listened to the Iowa Hawkeye football game broadcast and 60s music later. Shortly after XM was launched in 2003 I purchased my first XM receiver, I was in the first 350,000 subscribers…Bernie at the office was in the first 100,000. For Christmas in 2004 Jonathan was given a receiver for his car, and then when he bought his car he got one with it so his old XM went to Evie.

As it is not uncommon for me to take 400 mile round trips in the division XM is a blessing. I not longer need to find a new station every 20-30 minutes or wonder when I hear some static if I am driving closer or further way from the station. Now, and if I so wish, the same station follows me throughout the whole journey. Though I rarely do I listen to the same station, it is possible to do so even on a 1,000 mile trip.

The digital sound quality is crisp and clear. The variety of stations is greater than you could ever hope to find even in the largest market. Amongst the 160 stations are a range of interests for everyone. There are stations specializing in each decade from the 40s to the 90s. There are several contemporary channels as well as channels that mixes music from the late 50s to the mid 80s. You name it, it is there…three classical music stations, three comedy stations, jazz, country music, urban music CNN, FOX, Weather Channel, ESPN News, most MBL and NHL games broadcast live, Big Ten and Pac Ten football and basketball games, comedy, Christian music, talk shows (sports, women, conservative, liberal, Christian, Oprah this fall), local traffic reports in major markets, and a Canadian news channel.

Beside the quality of the sound, I like that many of the music channels are commercial free. I also love being able to catch up on Canadian news and weather by turning to channel 244 (Canada 360), for 15 to 20 minutes.

The signals for XM come from a satellite which means that there are times when you could loose a signal for a moment in some urban canyons or in tunnels. Last June I was surveyed regarding which local radio. I was not helpful on the questions as between the ipod and XM I rarely listen to terrestrial radio anymore.

4 comments:

Christian said...

I was a XM subscriber for about a year. When I moved to Connecticut, the reception seriously went downhill. I don't know if my antenna was bad or if the hills in the area contributed to this. In Maine, it was great as I was able to listen to Yankee games clear as crystal.

I may someday rejoin XM. When I got a new car, I didn't want a bunch of wires hanging around. IN the Ford van (fullsize) it worked well, and even the inexperienced installation man of yours truly was able to make it look good. If I could have a professional installation and better reception, I would rejoin in a minute!

Dave said...

Christian, I also have speakers and antenna for my office. When I get to the office I can take the XM out of the car and move it to the office. Reception can be an issue without a good antenna.

Dave said...

Christian, I also have speakers and antenna for my office. When I get to the office I can take the XM out of the car and move it to the office. Reception can be an issue without a good antenna.

Barbara said...

I have been wondering what all the hype was over the satelite radios.