Saturday, June 09, 2007

Happiest Day

“I do” though they are two short words, when spoken in a context of a marital vow are powerful words. Those two words set spoken by the bride and by the groom are what bind their lives together as one. The two words bring a man and a woman into a unique relationship and contract that is not found anywhere else in the law. The significance of the relationship is evidenced in that all other contracts and relationships can be dissolved between two parties through mutual agreement without having to go to court and can be accomplished without prescribed minimum time, but with a marriage there is a minimum time and a judge must be involved.

This day in 1979 I spoke those two simple words and heard a quivering yet happy voice utter them too. Over the course of my life I have had many joyous moments but all pale to June 9, 1979. Those two words, “I do” are the focal point of the happiest day in my life. With those words I wedded a browned eyed young lady of Italian heritage who is my enduring counselor, nurse, foil, soul mate, best friend and lover.

Though I loved her fully and completely with my whole being on that day, the love I had then is a fraction of what has bloomed and broadened as the years have passed. As I sit here I know we have had our fights and fortunately they have been rare, but I am hard pressed to recall them. Yet my mind is flooded with a torrent of image and memories of our joyous times, of times spent quietly cuddling, watching and listening together to our sons, long chats, dinners out and travels taken. Hotel rooms regardless how comfortable they may be, regardless of the view and amenities feel so lonely when she is not with me. I love just being together with her regardless what we are doing and miss her when she is not there. Where are times, including as I type this morning, that thinking of her and her love for me causes my eyes to moisten.

Just moments before I entered the church to exchange vows I stood in the church’s back parking lot overlooking the fields below. I was nervous, not out of questioning my love or if this was a step I should take. I was apprehensive because I feared that sometime in the future I would fall short in loving her with my entire being. I knew then that I was marrying a woman I did not merit but was pleased that God had graced her with me.

June 9, 2007 is the twenty-eighth anniversary of the happiest day in my life, the day I became the husband to Evelyn Irene Camuti.

Thank you Brown Eyes for making me so happy. I still feel humble being your husband.














4 comments:

Barbara said...

happy anniversary. You are both a true inspiration about true love and happiness.

Stephen said...

Happy 28th anniversary!! Thanks for your reflections on a relationship that is an example of a marriage that not only works, but one that has thrived!

Catharine said...

Happy Anniversary! You are such a romantic.

Joanne said...

Ah Yes, I remeber well that weekend 28 years ago. Your love for each other was truly evident then, as it is today as well. Happy Anniversary!