Sunday, April 20, 2008

Airport Challenge - Follow-up

In the prior blog I noted that I have been in and out of 40 airports. When I did the following list I learned that I was short by one...I have flown into and out of 41 airports, seven in Canada and thirty-four in the US. Here is my list.

Toronto – Pearson
Vancouver
Winnipeg
London, Ontario
Montreal
Halifax
St. Johns

Albuquerque
Atlanta
Cedar Rapids
Chicago
Cincinnati
Dallas
Denver
Detroit
Dulles International (Washington DC)
Grand Forks
Harrisburg
Houston
Indianapolis
JFK (New York)
Kansas City
Lexington, Bluegrass (old and new)
Long Beach
Los Angelis
Louisville
Midland TX
New Orleans
Newark
Omaha
Orlando
Phoenix
Pittsburg
Quad Cities
Ronald Regan National (Washington DC)
San Antonio
San Diego
San Francisco
St Louis
Tucson
Twin Cities (Minneapolis)

Two and a half weeks ago were the flights to San Diego. This past week I flew to Atlanta. This week I fly to Orlando and two days after returning from Orlando I fly to Dallas. Dallas should be the last set of flights until at least August.

The worst airports I have experienced are Newark International and St. Louis International. I have flown into and out Newark six times, and St. Louis eight times over the years. Both have similar shortcomings. Both are congested, seating at the gates uncomfortable and limited and uncomfortable. Security checks bottle neck and are lengthy. Walking from one gate to another involves a great deal of walking and food choices are limited.

Though the airport in Winnipeg is an quick to get to and allows passengers to get to the gate quickly, it is not an airport at which I would want to be unduly delayed or stranded. The meal choices are nearly non-existent.

The airports I have loved the best are the smallest. One of my favorites is the Quad City Airport in Moline IL. Besides having a good selection of airlines, it is airy, quick to navigate both within and without, free wi-fi, and has good food choices for the size of the airport.

Another airport that I love to fly into and out of is Ronald Regan National Airport. There is a wide range of airlines that fly into the airport. Food choices are excellent on both sides of the gate and there is a good selection of shops to visit. The distance from check in to security is short and getting through security is quick. Once through security, the distance one is less than four minutes to the furthest gate. The airport is airy and one has a good view of the runways and the city from the heart of the airport as well as from the gates. Curbside drop off and pick-up is not only quick and easy but free of congestion.

Two flights that stand out as horror stories, the flight from Syracuse to Newark, and the flight from Newark to Rochester (see Evie’s account that is a comment on the prior blog).

1 comment:

Barbara said...

That's alot of airports that you've been through! My list will be quite a bit shorter than yours.