Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Blog Challenge - Airports

While waiting for my connection flight to Dulles a week ago, my mind started to count the number of airports into which I have flown into and/or out of during my life. Not including landing and taking off on lakes I counted 40 different airports (7 in Canada and 33 in the US). Here is a challenge to readers, post a comment telling how many airports you have landed at and/or taken off from.

Here is a second challenge, post a blog telling us a) which airport in the last ten years you have disliked the most and why, b) which airport or two in the last ten years you have liked the most and why, and lastly c) which was your worse flying experience. I have two but as they were shared with Evie, I will let Evie post hers choice and then I will post mine.

Delta Airlines which is based in Atlanta and Northwest which is based in Minneapolis announced that they will be merging. As I flew to Atlanta Monday I overheard a flight attendant speaking to another flight attendant about the age of their fleet and Northwest’s. From the comment it sounded like Northwest’s fleet was significantly older. Well I decided to go to a little research which revealed that Delta’s fleet with an average age of 14 years per aircraft is significantly older than Northwest’s 11.4 years. That said, given the number of newer aircraft on Northwest’s international routes, on the domestic routes, Northwest’s fleet is slightly older than Delta’s.

I was surprised by the age of some of the fleets. Here is the age of various fleets:

American 15 (the oldest of the major US fleets)
Air Canada 8.9
Air Canada Jetz 12.6
Virgin America 1.1
Virgin Atlantic 6.7
United 13.7
Southwest 9.9
US Air 12.3
US Air Force 22.5 (only includes their passenger aircraft)
Canadian Air Force 19.2 (only includes their passenger aircraft)
Canadian North 26
Continental 10.2
Frontier 4
Jet Blue 3.4
AirTran 4.8
Qantas 11
Air France 9.1
Air Jamaica 8.7
Air Alaska 8.7
Midwest 10.8
British Airways 11.3
Lufthansa 12.8

If the US Air Force included the military aircraft, the B-52 fleet would drive the statistics through the roof as the youngest planes in the large B-52 fleet is older than most the pilots who are flying them. In theory it will not be long before it is possible for the oldest B-52’s in the fleet to be flown by the grandson of the aircraft’s first pilot.

9 comments:

Christian said...

Okay, hopefully I get this right..

Newark (Liberty) Int'l, NJ
Buffalo Niagara Int'l Airport, NY
Toronto (Peterson) Int'l Airport
Rochester Int'l Airport, NY
Pittsburgh Int'l Airport (Old one)
Lexington(Blue Grass Field) KY
Pittsburgh, Int'l Airport (New)
Atlanta (Hartsfield) Int'l, GA
San Juan (Luis Munoz Marin), PR
Chicago (O'Hare), IL
New York, LaGuardia
Cleveland (Hopkins Int'l), OH
Portland Int'l Jetport, Maine
Providence (T.F. Green), RI
Detroit (Wayne County, MI
Erie Int'l (Tom Ridge), PA
Orlando Int'l, FL
Philadelphia Int'l, PA
Cincinati,(Erlanger, KY)
Tampa Int'l, FL
Boston (Logan Int'l)
Hartford (Bradley Int'l) Windsor Locks, CT
Charlotte (Douglas), NC

Many of those have had more than one flights on more than one carrier. For example, I have flown out of or through Pittsburgh on numerous occasions. I do have my favorite airline/airlines, but that is a discussion for another day!

Christian said...

I forgot to add one very important airport...Sanford Regional Aiport in Sanford, Maine. I actually flew the plane and was offered to land, I respectfully declined.

Stephen said...

At first I didn't think I would have very many airports to include in my list. When you stop and think about it, it's surprising how many places have been visited by air.

I think this list is complete:

13 Canadian
0 US
1 Dutch
1 Finish
1 Bermuda
1 Barbados

Pearson Int'l (Toronto)
Brampton Airport
Halifax Int'l
St. John's Nfld. Int'l
Gander Nfld. Int'l
Stephenville Nfld.
Winnepeg Int'l
Kitchner-Waterloo Airport
Simoce ON - airstrip
Thunder Bay ON
Calgary Int'l
Vancouver Int'l
Comox B.C.
Helsinke Finland
St. Peterburg Russia
Schiphol Amsterdam Netherlands
Bermuda Int'l
Barbados Int'l - Bridgetown

Stephen said...

I forgot another airport - St. Petersburg - Russia (November 1992). That was certainly an interesting experience to pass through a Soviet era airport - a year after the fall of the Soviet Union.

Evie said...

As far as I can recall (I grew another year older today, so the memory may be starting to fade), these are the airports I've flown to and from:

Avoca (Scranton/Wilkes-Barre)
Pittsburgh (old one)
Lexington Blue Grass
Harrisburg
Philadelphia
Newark
Toronto Pearson
Winnipeg
Vancouver
Minneapolis
Seattle
Los Angeles
Long Beach
San Diego
Dallas-Fort Worth
Chicago O'Hare
Cedar Rapids
St. Louis
Denver
Boston Logan
Buffalo
Rochester
Syracuse
Baltimore-Washington
Dulles
Reagan National
Orlando
Roanoke
Toledo
Calgary
San Antonio
Atlanta

That adds up to 32. I don't think I've forgotten any.

You know my worst flight story, a Tale of Two Flights, actually: traveling to and from Mom and Paul's wedding, Thanksgiving weekend, 1985. The adventure began in the wee hours of the morning, Thanksgiving Day, when a deer used our car to commit suicide. A few hours later, we were on the last flight out of Syracuse as a snowstorm descended on the city. The flight was very turbulent and poor Jonathan, all of 22 months old, had only had 3-4 hours of sleep that night. The turbulence made him sick and he threw up all over me - repeatedly - throughout the entire flight.

The return flight from Newark wasn't much better. The budget airline we were flying (the only one we could afford, we were cadets) didn't go to Toronto. The closest we could get was Buffalo. You called Dad and he agreed to pick us up in Buffalo. However, the plane we were supposed to leave on blew an engine as it was landing and we ended up spending 8-9 hours on standby in Newark's airport, gazing at the New York city skyline. As it turned out, there were no more flights to Buffalo, so we ended up flying to Syracuse instead. Since cell phones had not been invented yet, you left a message for your dad at the Buffalo airport to continue down the road and pick us up in Syracuse. By the time he got us, we were all tired and hungry. But, we only had a few dollars in American money between us and Dad needed to set aside enough to pay for the tolls along the lovely New York state thruway. He also needed gas. We rode on fumes across the border, and finally got gas and food in Canada.

The wedding was lovely and the time with family was wonderful. It was also special because it was the last time we saw a number of my elderly relatives who have since passed away. In this case, the destination was far better than the journey.

Evie said...

Best and Worst Airports. This is a tricky one.

Worst: I hated Los Angeles because getting through security was a nightmare. Dulles ranks right up there too, because security is also a grind there.

Best: Cedar Rapids is small and easy to navigate. Reagan National's not too bad either.

Evie said...

I have to add London, Ontario to my list. That brings me up to 33.

Christian said...

Did the discount carrier happen to be PeopleExpress??? I know their primary hub was Newark.

Dave said...

Christian, yes it was People's Express