Saturday, May 02, 2009

A Derby Day Salute to Big Red

On this Derby Day I am saluting Secretariat. Secretariat, also known as “Big Red” was one of the greatest horses of all time. The first clip is the 1973 Derby and he went on to win the Triple Crown, an accomplishment which had not been won for a long time before Big Red did so. The 1973 Derby was the first one I remember watching and have watched each Derby since then.





This is the Preakness, the second jewel in the Triple Crown.




This is Big Red’s amazing Belmont run that stunned the racing world.




Years later through a friend of ours Evie and I were able to go see Big Red at his stud farm. We still have pictures of our visit to see Big Red and Riva Ridge.

3 comments:

Evie said...

I missed the Belmont Stakes that year, as I was busy attending Dennis and Erma's wedding.

Catharine said...

I forget the name of the horse but I love it when a 50-1 odds horse wins!

Barbara said...

The names always kill me. I wonder how they come up with them.