Friday, May 01, 2009

What May Brings

The first of May is now here and brings with it a significant annual event that I look forward to watching each year....the Kentucky Derby. The Derby is run annually on the first Saturday of May, and in Kentucky is the official first day of barbeque season.

Since living in Kentucky the Derby has become one of those special days, much like July First, July Fourth, Thanksgiving, New Years, but not yet at the same level as Christmas.

The first Saturday afternoon across the Commonwealth of Kentucky business comes to a hault in the late afternoon. Streets are quiet as people gather to barbeque, party and watch the Derby. People who rarely watch horse racing, do so that day. Favorites are selected and friendly betting pools are done. People who never handicap a race will wade into the waters for this one race.

I too tomorrow will pick a horse to cheer. I will listen to the stories and make my choice. There is no real method to my process and no money invested, but I make my choice for a horse or two to cheer and follow during the race. Sometimes I am quickly disappointed with my selections but often by having selected two, sometimes a third, to watch and cheer I often have one that is in the thick of things coming around the final stretch.

Before going to college I would give passing interest to the Kentucky Derby, but that change in 1976. Watching the Derby is part of Kentucky that remains with me today. Even in Winnipeg with snow still melting around that Saturday was the first day we fired the barbeque. We are not able to barbeque in our complex, but I will be cooking up something on the George Forman grill tomorrow.

I have driven past Churchill Downs but I have never taken in a race at that track. One day I hope to go to Churchill, and spend a day or two just enjoying the races at this historic park.

6 comments:

Jenn said...

how much r u putting down??? lOL!

Barbara said...

I have never been to the horse races, but I it's on my list of things to experience.

Dave said...

Barb...I enjoy the standardbreds/harness racing (with the sulky behind) just as much as the thoroughbreds.

Evie said...

Horse races are entertaining. Just don't be silly enough to bet on them.

Catharine said...

I hope you didn't forget to eat Kentucky Derby pie!

Josh said...

And for the third year in a row, I didn't get to see it. Because instead, I was at camp. For the third year in a row. On the first weekend of May. Oh well, which do you think I'd rather do? Be at camp all weekend or sit around and watch a horse race for a couple of minutes?