Sunday, August 13, 2006

Gems - Part 3

Here are four more divine gems.

Kay Gage – In various ways Kay gave herself to the young teens in the Corps, whether it was as a Sunday School class or hosting a gathering in her home. Kay’s heart was and still is one of the biggest hearts I have known. Besides the gift of hospitality, one of the greatest gifts she provided was acceptance of the plethora of wild ideas and questions teens raise. We felt comfortable expressing in her presence questions of doubt or venting without fear of rejection or condemnation. Not through her words, but through how she accepted behaviors and comments, she made me feel that it was okay to question faith and life. She acceptance helped to lay the foundation for me moving beyond being a repository of “the handed down faith” to having my own. Also from Kay I learned that sometimes, and likely more often than not, it is best to just quietly listen as a person vents their thoughts.



Ken and Lil Kurtz – It is only in recent years that I have come to understand the impact of Ken and Lil had upon me and other teens in the Corps. They did lead any youth programs. They did not teach any teen Sunday School or Corps Cadet classes through which they imparted wisdom. They did not seek accolades or recognition. Last year during my parent’s 50th Anniversary celebration, Lil and Ken were there still serving in the background. They would be willing to be leaders, but would be reluctant to do so if there were others who could do the job. They recognized that there are many who are seeking to be the Chief while few are content to remain as the supporting Braves.

I have discovered that I am attempting to live out. There is joy in being content to serve in background, to enable our Officers and other leaders to do their jobs. Kudos go to Lil and Ken for their quiet instruction that in its own quiet way has colored my life.



Lee Fisher – Lee was one of my undergraduate psychology professors as well as my faculty advisor even though I feel well short of the qualifications of being one of his advisees. Most of his student advisees were on academic probation with the remainder just off. When I switched majors to psychology, for various reasons he was willing to take me on as an exception, one of which was his friendship with my father.

His classroom instruction and stories disappears into the background when I recall the day I visited with Lee in his home. That late afternoon he shared with me part of his story, the personal feelings and issues behind why he left training college. Years later, well after he had passed away I learned from Annette that he very rarely shared those feelings with any but his closest friend. I was not such a close friend. Years later when Evie and I were going through our issues related to officership and our move to Iowa Lee’s story came back to me. It helped me to understand that sometimes God can guide one into one form of ministry only to later take a person out and into another form....a novel and somewhat radical view within The Salvation Army. Lee was brought into a different ministry, a ministry through which he had a much wider impact upon The Salvation Army and other congregations than he would have ever had as an officer. I am grateful for Lee helping to broaden my understanding of God's grace and providence.

2 comments:

Joanne said...

I definitely concere with Kay Gage. I'm not sure if you are aware that she has been quite ill the last year or so. I had lunch with Barb last March when we ran into each other at the National Conference. At that time, Kay had been in hospital for quite some time. I've heard nothing since, so I imagine things are more stabalized now. I'll email Barb and see how her mom is doing and let you know.

Dave said...

Thanks Joanne. I heard something last year at Mom and Dad's 50th about her being ill. I was unclear how ill.