Thursday, August 17, 2006

Gems - Part 4

Here are two more couples who are gems

Colonel and Mrs. David Moulton – This retired officer couple moved to Wilmore the same year I started to attend Asbury. They provided pastoral care to the Salvationists at the college and seminary. They often described themselves as “actively retired”.

Just like my parents, the Moultons had an open door policy. Their home was open for any student who need to a place to relax. Every Sunday evening the 50 to 70 students descended upon their home were greeted warmly and served refreshments as they visited with each other in their basement. To myself, and hundreds of other students over the years, they became quassi-grandparents.

Over twenty-five years later I look back upon their quiet influence and warmth with deep fondness. Grace and godliness was their hallmark as they quietly encouraged and counseled students. Their nurturing certainly made life at college much more pleasant.


Gary and Cheryl Miller – the Millers were my college Corps Officers from my first year in college through to my first year of grad school. As a freshman I spent many Sunday lunches and afternoons at their home. Before going to Asbury I somewhat followed the CFL but it was not until that first Fall that I became acquainted with the NFL and American football. Since, each August I have looked forward with anticipation to the College and NFL season.

If it was just football, the Millers would not be on my list as divine gems. Their lasting impact was helping me to broaden my concept of ministry to include the social ministry and the importance of development/public relations. I became more acquainted with how TSA’s pulpit ministry goes hand in hand with the social ministry, that the business and social service side of ministry supports the pulpit work and the pulpit work should impact the social ministry. I came to value a thoughtful orderly approach to the business and social side of ministry.

Gary and Cheryl hired me to be an intake worker at the Lexington emergency shelter. The shelter provided a powerful opportunity to become engaged with the homeless at a level. My interest in the homeless and near homeless has continued to impact my life. A year after being hired, I was given additional responsibilities of supervising the intake staff, scheduling and interviewing prospective intake workers. This additional tasks was my first steps into the world of being a supervisor. Today I can see the seeds Gary and Cheryl planted back then continue to flower in the present. I am most pleased to have during their last days as Officers that they are now stationed at NHQ. As we worship together at the Arlington Corps the Lord has most fittingly provided Evie and I to get to know them more as friends.

1 comment:

Evie said...

I have wonderful memories of the Moultons. I'm still amazed at how gracious they were in allowing dozens of rowdy college students to take over their home every Sunday evening. And their warm regard for the students was absolutely sincere. They loved us and we knew it.

I also appreciated the Millers when they were our COs in Lexington. I'm glad we've been able to renew our friendship with them. It's a real blessing that they are stationed at NHQ and attending our corps.